The Retractors different types according to use, some of the retractor used in spine surgery includes
- Derrico retractor
- Adson Cerebellar retractor
- Caspar nerve root retractor
- Derrico nerve root retractor
Common spinal procedures include:
Discectomy (any level of the spine) – to remove herniated disc material pressing on a nerve root or the spinal cord
Laminectomy – a spinal operation to remove the lamina: part of the vertebral bone
Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF) – use of the front approach to fusing lumbar spinal bones together by removing a between-vertebrae disc and replacing it with a bone or metal spacer.
The procedure performed with a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) that approaches the
spine through the low back or a Thoracic Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF) performed at the higher (thoracic) level of the spine.
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion – the procedure can be performed to relieve neck and other pain caused by spinal cord or nerve root pressure from a cervical disc herniation
- Spine realignment of scoliosis (sideways curve of the spine) or kyphosis (humpback curve of the thoracic spine).